About Me

My photo
Writing means different things to me. I'm a storyteller, a book editor, and a songwriter. For me, it's like breathing.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

I am studying Shamanism to help me understand the ancient tribes of the Scottish Highlands. This isn't a stretch for me because I have studied Celtic magic and Wicca, but Shamanism is more of an internal journey rather than using spell casting. An excellent book that explains the entire process of Shamanism is The Spiral of Memory and Belonging, A Celtic Path of Soul and Kinship by Frank MacEowen. This book really shed light my own spirituality and the path my own life has taken in recent years. Shamanism is connecting with your ancestors and nature, even walking between the worlds of the living and that of the spirits. Drums, rattles or music can help you on this journey. Some people have spirit guides, ancestors or animals, which guide them on their spiritual journey. My spirit animal is the wolf.

When I write, I put on my favorite music and I journey to another place. Sometimes the characters take over and lead the story and I have no conscious control over the outcome. I have an indian drum that I will play when I get writer's block. It actually helps!

No comments: