About Me

My photo
Writing means different things to me. I'm a storyteller, a book editor, and a songwriter. For me, it's like breathing.

Sunday, July 03, 2005

Yahoo Group on Self-Publishing

There are many helpful groups online for people who write and self-publish. I belong to the Yahoo Group on Self-Publishing. I wish I had joined this group before I decided on a publisher, but what's done is done. There is a lot of good advice from this group, but some of the advice is a little harsh and can be discouraging to some. For example, there are some that say POD publishing will be a guarantee that your book will not get into bookstores. Now, I think that while it may take some work to get a POD book into bookstores, it isn't impossible. If the bookstore won't buy copies, then putting them in the store on consignment is an option. Also, gift shops may also be an option. My plan is to start with local stores and branch out from there. I just sold one of my books on Ebay as well. I think that anything is possible and in order to be a successful writer, you need to perservere and not get discouraged easily.

Happy writing!

No comments: