About Me

My photo
Writing means different things to me. I'm a storyteller, a book editor, and a songwriter. For me, it's like breathing.

Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Weird Word Wednesday

deke
verb \ˈdēk\
Popularity: Bottom 30% of words
Definition of deke
Deked dekeing
transitive verb
:  to fake (an opponent) out of position (as in ice hockey)
intransitive verb
:  to deke an opponent
deke noun


Deke originated as a shortened form of "decoy." Ernest Hemingway used "deke" as a noun referring to hunting decoys in his 1950 novel Across the River and into the Trees ("I offered to put the dekes out with him"). About a decade later, "deke" began appearing in ice-hockey contexts in Canadian print sources as both a verb and a noun ("the act of faking an opponent out of position").

      Kelley Heckart
Otherworldly tales steeped in myth, magic & romance.

No comments: