About Me

My photo

I spend most of my time daydreaming and creating otherworldly tales steeped in myth, magic, and romance. All of my heroes have long hair, and my heroines are strong-willed. Prior to being a writer, I played bass guitar in an all-girl hard rock/metal band in southern California. When I'm not writing, editing, or reading, I enjoy practicing target archery.
 

Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Weird Word Wednesday

enfilade
NOUN

1A volley of gunfire directed along a line from end to end.
‘they were mown down by an enfilade of artillery’
2A suite of rooms with doorways in line with each other.
Example sentences
VERB

Direct a volley of gunfire along the length of (a target)
‘a sweeping crossfire enfiladed our riflemen’
Origin
Early 18th century (denoting the position of a military post commanding the length of a line): from French, from enfiler ‘thread on a string, pierce from end to end’, from en- ‘in, on’ + fil ‘thread’.
Pronunciation

enfilade/ˌɛnfɪˈleɪd/


Kelley Heckart
Otherworldly tales steeped in myth, magic & romance.

Post a Comment