About Me

My photo
Writing means different things to me. I'm a storyteller, a book editor, and a songwriter. For me, it's like breathing.

Monday, May 11, 2015

Monday Musings: Shredding the past

You can learn a lot about someone by their bank statements/cleared checks.

I’ve been shredding old records from 1983 on up to 2000 and it’s a tedious job made a little interesting by seeing what I spent and where.

Here’s what I learned:

My priorities have changed. In the 1980s and ’90s, I spent a lot of money on my hair and on clothing (Wilson’s Leather) and very little on food and other necessities.

Things were cheaper then. I only spent 25.00 on cable and 50.00 on food, and only 10.00 co-pays to see the doctor. Gas was cheaper too. Now my cable bill is 74.00, and I pretty much have the same amount of channels I did back then. I’m lucky if I can leave the grocery store now without spending close to 200.00. That one hurts. But some things were more expensive. My car payment was almost what I pay now for a mortgage. And although my co-pays are higher, because of the Affordable Care Act, more medical procedures are covered now, which saves me money.

Some things never change though:

I still spend money on books, though now I purchase ebooks instead of shopping at Borders or B. Dalton. Department stores come and go, some still remain. I used to shop a lot at Mervyns and The Broadway, which no longer exist. Though JC Penney is still around. I shopped at malls back then in stores like The Limited, Wet Seal, Contempo Casuals… Now I shop online at JC Penney or Kohls for sensible clothes, not the sexy outfits I used to buy. LOL

One thing I realized that didn’t occur to me until I sat down and started shredding: A big chunk of my life passed before me and into the shredder.

 

Kelley Heckart, Historical fantasy romance author

Captivating...Sensual...Otherworldly

http://www.kelleyheckart.com

http://kelleysrealm.blogspot.com/

http://twitter.com/CelticChick

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kelley-Heckart/111838455604

TheBearGoddess_TRRCoverad

No comments: