About Me

My photo
Writing means different things to me. I'm a storyteller, a book editor, and a songwriter. For me, it's like breathing.

Sunday, June 02, 2024

Poor Things, a movie review

We just streamed Poor Things last night, and it was one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. It was also one of the most fascinating movies I've ever seen. It's based on a novel, and I would classify it as a mix of fantasy and steampunk.


The film was visually stunning, with odd architecture design and cinematography utilizing vivid color and black and white and different lenses like a fisheye lense for a couple of scenes.

The main character is Bella, a woman brought back from the dead by an unorthodox doctor. We get to watch her evolve from a newborn into an amazing, unique female. Men want to possess her for her untamed, wild-child personality. She is passionate and unbridled. She doesn't want to be controlled and confined by a man, and we get to see how she deals with this issue.

There are many themes from this movie, but I think a main one is that we could all benefit from never losing our curiosity about the world around us and to stop being bound by societal norms.

The actors' performances were top-notch, and I'm not surprised Emma Stone won an Academy Award for her role in this movie.

I highly recommend Poor Things if you are looking for something weirdly fascinating.


No comments: